Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taking my Time


We continue to enjoy our local meals - chicken, pork, beef, eggs, sweet corn, green beans, zucchini, potatoes, beets, green pepper, cukes, onions and tomatoes. An organically grown local tomato that was picked red from the vine cannot be compared with what groceries stores call tomatoes. My son and I made Spiced Peach Jam with our sweet and juicy local peaches. A day in the sun on the windowsill brings out the sweetness of these simply delicious peaches.

Our family enjoys Argyle Cheese Farmer yogurt with granola and peach jam. Cheesemaker Marge Randles also makes incredible cheeses with milk from her own grass fed cows. Located in Argyle, NY, Marge began with yogurts in 2007 and has since expanded her line of products to include cheeses, cheese spreads, cheesecakes, breads and greek yogurt. Arg
yle Cheese Farmer is also the first in the area to offer yogurt in a recyclable, returnable glass container. Their products are fresh and delicious. Marge's warm smile greeting me every week is wonderful too.

The last thing we purchase every week at the farmers market is milk, because it is heavy to carry around, but I look forward with delight to the glass bottles of creamy white stu
ff. Battenkill Valley Creamery milk and cream are just divine bits of heaven. Fresh blueberries, granola and milk. Nothing better. Battenkill Valley Creamery was founded by Donald and Seth McEachron (4th and 5th generation farmers respectively) whose family has been dairy farming in the Battenkill Valley for more than a century. They milk their own herd of cows and bottle it right on the farm. They take pride in caring for their animals and their mission is to provide customers with premium quality, all natural, hormone-free dairy products. Their glass bottles are also returnable and recyclable.

We are enjoying this local bounty and feel so fortunate to be surrounded by such plentiful and healthy food. We are very lucky to live in an area that has so many wonderful family farms near by. We often comment how full and satisfied we feel on less food. I think this is because the food is rich in nutrients and without unnecessary fillers and chemicals.

It takes planning. It takes a different mindset. I can't just run to the store and grab something for dinner. I need to plan around farmers markets and the few local items I can buy from my supermarket. I need to be familiar with the farmers and ask who is using sprays or chemicals and who isn't. I do research on the internet to find out what products are grown or made within my 100 mile radius that I can substitute for the products I usually use. I need to know what is in season and plan meals and delicious recipes around it.
I need to take my time and make more things from scratch.

And I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment