Friday, July 9, 2010

How Feasible?

I am learning as I go how feasible a 100 mile diet actually is. As long as I know what is in season, local produce is not a problem. Thankfully, New York's Capital Region has an abundance of farmers markets. But I want organically grown produce, so I had to do a little research on the farms I buy from to see what their mission and practices are. Local doesn't necessarily mean organic, but I was pleasantly surprised to find so many farm families that share my own values about farming practices. Humanely raised meat is not a problem to find either, as well as milk, cheese and yogurt from cows that graze, are not fed an unnatural corn diet and are not given growth hormones. Having these healthy ingredients in my fridge is a good basic approach, combined with my herb garden.

But questions arise like what about bread? Locally baked with organic grains from far away? Is that the best I can do? I did some research and found that wheat is actually grown in NY, and one mill is within the 100 mile parameter. The local one is called Wild Hive Farm and their mission is "to help build sustainable communities and support regional sustainable agriculture by producing food products made with the local, organic bounty of the Hudson Valley." Works for me.

I can buy their products online, but it happens that tomorrow I am going that direction to transport a dog, so we are going to stop in and purchase some grains. I found a barely used bread machine on craigslist and have begun to bake our bread with the organic flour I had left in the house. It is working great. I used to baked bread this way years ago, but the machine eventually died after about 10 years of regular use, and I never replaced it. I tell you, bread machines have come a long way since then. The water I use is filtered tap water at room temperature. I used local honey in place of the sugar. The yeast is not local, but it comes in a glass jar that is recyclable so somehow I feel better. And sea salt...oh well. But the main ingredient is whole wheat flour so good bread, mainly local is doable and delicious. I will let you know how the local organic grains work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment