Friday, July 9, 2010

I Cook Meat


I cook meat because although I am a vegetarian, no one else in my family is. I am not a snobby nothing-with-a-face kind of vegetarian, I just don't enjoy meat. I believe I was born a vegetarian as evidenced by the nausea, stomach cramps and the youseriouslydon'twanttobearoundme emissions that meat treats me to. But my dear husband believes the four basic food groups are Chicken, Beef, Pork and Fish. Hence, I cook meat.

I went online to check out the meat farmers at my local farmers market. I found Bornt Family Farm. I learned that Gerald Bor
nt is a 5th generation farmer whose great-great-grandfather, Chauncey Bornt established the farm in the 1870s. Today, he provides fresh, all-natural beef, pork and veal that is USDA inspected and hormone- and antibiotic-free. The animals, pastured for spring, summer and most of fall, are grain and grass-fed with wheat, oats, barley, corn and hay from right on the farm. During winter, they’re brought inside to the barn where they’re kept from tearing up the muddy fields for the next season’s planting.

We have been purchasing Gerry's meat for a couple of weeks now and I am very impressed. It is a bit more expensive than supermarket meat, but there was virtually no fat in the hamburger or steak. I was able to get 2 or 3 meals out of the packages, including the pork sausage and Canadian bacon.

One thing I learned though, is that meat that has no fat cooks faster and I ended up overcooking it. I will be more careful next time.


An unexpected benefit is that Gerry knows my face and greets me each week, understanding that he supplies meat to feed my family and I value what he is doing by supporting his business.


No comments:

Post a Comment