Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kale


I am not an exotic cook. I like to cook with simple, wholesome ingredients.

However, *simple* becomes *boring* when making Trader Joe's organic mac and cheese from a box for the 7000th time. Although my son says I make it better than anyone, it is only shells, milk, butter and cheese. Maybe love is the only variable. I don't know.

I was thinking about sharing recipes here, but I am told that even though I write down recipes they never turn out the same as when I make them. I think the reason is that, basic cooking skills
aside, I tend to *feel* cooking rather than *think* cooking. More like an art form. More like passion. More than just "feeding the troops."

This week, I bought some beautiful local kale at the farmers market. I like looking at it as much as I like eating it. The stems were wrapped in a wet paper towel, which turns out to be a good way of keeping it fresher longer.

Kale is a superfood. It has beta-carotene, an important nutrient for good vision, vitamin C, which is good for cold prevention, as well as a reduced risk of colon cancer and is also rich in minerals, such as iron, manganese, calcium and potassium. Kale also contains compounds that may lessen the occurrence of some cancers. Studies suggest that the phytonutrients in kale may actually help the liver neutralize potentially cancerous substances.

Here is my version of simple when it comes to kale:
(this works best for the more tender varieties rather than the curly ones)

Kale with Garlic and Lemon

1 bunch of kale, washed with woody stems removed and sliced crosswise about every inch
2 or 3 T. olive oil
1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic sliced (depending on your love for garlic)
One half of a lemon and one slice of lemon quartered
Salt and Pepper


  1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
  2. Saute the sliced garlic for a minute or so until it is very lightly golden and smells heavenly
  3. Add the sliced kale to the pan, noticing its lovely green and red (or yellow) color
  4. Saute until soft and a rich dark green color
  5. Squeeze a little juice from the half lemon onto the kale and stir
  6. I also take a slice of lemon and quarter it and stir it in at the very end
  7. Salt and pepper to taste
  8. Be sure to notice the pretty contrast between the deep green and bright yellow
Okay, yes, lemons are not locally grown. I still had a bag of organic lemons in my fridge. I think that lemons are going to have to be one of my exceptions to local. (along with coffee and salt) I think a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar will probably work also. The olive oil is organic, however a product of Italy. Oils still have to be sorted out for this 100 mile diet challenge.

Yep, it's a challenge. But it is also a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment