Monday, July 12, 2010

Really Small Miracles


I feed some of the pickiest eaters on the planet. Of course, my son will eat anything as long as it is macaroni and cheese. My dear husband believes all meals should start with a meat and end with a side of pasta. When we go out to eat, he only orders seafood pasta. It doesn't matter what kind of restaurant. Chinese: Shrimp Lo Mein. Japanese: Seafood Udon Soup. Italian: some kind of Fruit de Mare and pasta. Many nights he will make a bowl of noodles as a bedtime snack.

There are no green things allowed on their plates.

I exaggerate. My son will also eat hot dogs.

So this week, we stopped at Wild Hive Farm Store in Clinton Corners, NY specifically to buy locally grown and milled flour. We also found some local humanely raised beef hot dogs with no nitrites or nitrates. I was ecstatic. Tonight, after cooking some for my son, I learned that they are perhaps the best hot dogs known to mankind. Score. I served them on homemade, organic whole wheat bread. Score again. We are thankful for small miracles.

My husband, after eating local and organic AND vegetarian at the Wild Hive Cafe and thoroughly enjoying it, ran off that night to go to dinner with his boss, only to come home bemoaning the fact there was no meat offering at this catered event. The next morning, excuse me, but he eliminated easily and, well, without odor. He was amazed and said perhaps he should cut back on meat. I swear I heard angel choirs singing hallelujah. Miracle number 2.

Thank you, Wild Hive Farm, for whatever spell you cast on my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment